Ph.D. Researcher in Crypto-Finance, Cybersecurity and Privacy (FinCrypt project)(M/F)
Duration: 3+1 years Start day: 1-July 2018 (or slightly later upon agreement).
The successful candidate will join the CryptoLUX group led by Prof. Alex Biryukov. He or she will contribute to a research project entitled "Security, Scalability, and Privacy in Blockchain Applications and Smart Contracts (FINCRYPT)", which is funded by the Luxembourgish Fonds National de la Recherche (FNR) through the CORE program. Candidates with research interests in one or more of the following areas are particularly encouraged to apply:
- applied cryptography
- cryptofinance, cryptocurrencies, blockchains
- anonymity and privacy on the Internet
The main responsibility of the successful candidates will be to conduct, publish and present research in the rapidly growing areas of cryptofinance and/or privacy-enhancing technologies and/or cybersecurity. Depending on the candidates’ interests the concrete research topics may include:
- design and analysis of modern cryptocurrencies and cryptofinance solutions;
- security and privacy of smart contracts;
- development of new proofs of work or other consensus mechanisms;
- analysis of the security and privacy of existing anonymity networks (e.g. Tor);
- study of white-box cryptography and code obfuscation/de-obfuscation techniques.
- M.Sc. degree in Computer Science, Applied Mathematics or a related field
- GPA of at least 80% in both the bachelor and master studies
- Strong mathematical and/or algorithmic CS background (math/ CS Olympiads, CTFs a big plus)
- Background in applied cryptography, or information security, or economics/finance - a plus
- Good skills in programming, scripting languages . Math tools - a plus.
- Commitment, team working and a critical mind
- Fluent written and verbal communication skills in English
The University offers a Ph.D. study program with a Fixed Term Contract up to 3 years with extension into the 4th year based on performance, on full time basis (40hrs/week). The University offers highly competitive salaries and is an equal opportunity employer. You will work in an exciting international environment and will carry leading edge research in these rapidly evolving areas, which will have direct impact on the future. Luxembourg’s financial center is one of the largest investment fund, banking centers in Europe.
Applications, written in English, should be submitted by e-mail and should include:
- A brief cover letter explaining the candidate's motivation and research interests
- Curriculum Vitae (including photo, education/research, work experience, interests)
- Transcripts of B.Sc. and M.Sc. grades
- Information about contributions to open-source projects, participation in research competitions, Olympiads,CTFs, etc.
Deadline for applications: February 20, 2018. Contact: Prof. Alex Biryukov (e-mail: name dot family name (at) uni.lu)
Applications will be considered on receipt therefore applying before the deadline is encouraged.